earlymorningcruzin podcast

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Age 50 is a lot tougher than 40s. - Bill Rodgers


I was told by a friend that turning 50 is effecting me more than I think. Maybe... Maybe not..  If there is anything that is bothering me, it is the effect that turning 50 will have on my running. 

I'm not to naive to think that growing older will not have a diminishing effect on my ability to post PR's. But it wasn't to long ago that I was running what I would call pretty good times.. and I see no reason that I shouldn't be running closer to those times now.. but I'm not. I don't have an answer for this. Maybe just a confidence issue. 

But... then maybe I can understand why I'm not. My training schedule and pace times are much different that it was when I was racing at my "modern age" best. But to the credit of my training I am meeting the race pace goals that my training is aimed. So if you want to run fast.. you have to train fast.

With this in mind it is time to set up my plan for the Spring and beyond training plans.  The Hal Higdon half marathon training brought me through to my goal time for the Mercedes Half and so I will take another look into the plans that are available on the www.halhigdon.com site and get to work... and like to poster above reads, I will become
 
RELENTLESS!!

3 comments:

  1. You'd smoke me in a race any day of the week and I'm 39. Don't cut yourself short mate! Quite the opposite should be in store. What you've done and accomplished is quite note worthy.

    I can only wish to do what your doing now in 10 years. In many respects, you're times are what I aspire to do.

    If your not carefull, I'll catch you ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. In 10 years.. you will be doing much better than this!! rock on Ted!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, there's still more fast running in your legs. I think that, as we age, our training has to be smarter and more specific. Of course, recovery plays a BIG role in masters running, too. I'm 7 years behind you, but I notice some Father Time issues with my running, too.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Prattville, Alabama, United States